Sussex paintings for sale

Saturday 27 July 2013

"The Royal Oak", painting the pubs of Newick village

I live in the village of Newick, East Sussex. A pretty little village that has changed very little over the years.
There are 3 pubs here, The Royal Oak, The Bull Inn and The Crown, each very different in style and all very popular. ( The 4th pub, The Bricklayers Arms has been demolished in my absence )
The Bull Inn is situated in the middle of the village green. Built in 1510 it is said to have been used as a resting place for the pilgrims .
I painted it a couple of years ago, the brickwork was a nightmare and it took quite some time to  complete....          
 My memories...dipping hessian wrapped torches in paraffin around the back of the building, in preparation for bonfire night.
                                                      "Inn on the Green"

The Bull Inn, Newick,Sussex


Just up the road is The Royal Oak . A 16th century building that was once a manor house. This will be my new subject to paint. It's changed very little since this old postcard from 1911.
My memories...my induction into the world of beers, wines and spirits! 15 years of age with a half pint glass full of cider and the best ever ploughman's lunch. Large lumps of cheese, butter and pickle with a wedge of  bread torn from a freshly baked cob loaf from the local bakery ....mmmmm :)
It's quite an awkward building to paint. Sittting on the edge of a narrow road opposite some cottages means it's not possible to get a full frontal view.
Today I managed to get it all sketched out and I've painted in the trees of the background.




Day 2....just a couple of hours painting today but I have started work on the weather boards and added some basic under painting....progress has begun! 

Day 3...Painted most of the roof and chimneys today. I've also started on the fiddly little bits, it's very tiring on the eyes but I enjoy putting in the details.It's starting to look more colourful now .

Day 4... added lots of bits and pieces  today and started work on the right hand side of the building. The weather's pretty grim, raining again, so not a very good photo ...


Day 5... finally I've painted in the last details and the shading. All  I need to do now is go and test out their beer :)
"The Royal Oak" (Newick, East Sussex)
Acrylic on stretched canvas 23"x 16"x .5"
The Royal Oak, Newick, Sussex

BUY 





More paintings of Sussex http://paula-paintmyworld.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-sussex-coast-on-canvas.html#.U7l_HrGFDIU

No comments:

Post a Comment