Sussex paintings for sale

Tuesday 23 July 2013

" Summertime Downs" Landscape painting of Beddingham and Mount Caburn, Sussex

This Summer my sister and I have been out and about on various walks. The locations depend on the weather and how clear the view is so that I can get the best photos.
A couple of weeks ago we made the most of the wonderful sunshine and went up to the top of Beddingham  Hill, Sussex. The views were stunning ! From Mount Caburn,  to Lewes and the sea at Newhaven.
The view from Beddingham Hill looking north towards Lewes on the left
It's often so windy up on the South Downs that it's hard to hold the camera still enough to take good photos, but this day was perfect! I now have so many that I'm spoilt for choice as to which view I will paint first.
The wonderful chalk paths, part of the South Downs Way

I love the chalk tracks against the patchwork fields, a never ending path of The South Downs Way and the views go on for ever!
Looking out to sea over Newhaven and fields of red poppies.
For my first painting of the area I have decided on the little picturesque village of Beddingham that sits at the foot of Mount Caburn.
 A scattering of houses and farms nestled among the hills where artists such as Eric Ravilious would stay and delight in the surrounding and inspirational views.
"Furlongs" by Eric Ravilious

On the top of the 480 ft Mount Caburn is an Iron Age fort and is regularly seen among a multitude of colourful hang gliders soaring on the breeze.
Both the village and Mount Caburn make a wonderful subject for my painting..              
                                                                     

"Summertime Downs"
Acrylic on box canvas 20"x 16"x 1.5" 
looking over the village of Beddingham towards Mount Caburn
 





 Here are a couple of links if you would like to know more about Eric Ravilious and the Beddingham artists

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paula, your artwork is incredible! Love this landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sharon :) I'm so fortunate to be surrounded by so many picturesque views to paint! I'm covering lots of walks and taking loads of photos so I will be well stocked for the Winter months! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula - your painting is beautiful - you seem to work so quickly for such a rich detail too.
    Ha, as I scrolled down your post from the top photos I came across the first painting and immediately thought how like a Ravilious it looked - then I saw the text and realised why. *grin* He's one of my fav painters. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gillain :) Ravilious is great, He captures the downs so well with the chalk white fields. Whenever I'm going that way I always think of him painting the view I am looking at :)

    ReplyDelete