Sussex paintings for sale

Tuesday 25 March 2014

"Draught and Dray" Painting the horse drawn dray of Harvey's Brewery

Harveys brewery, Lewes, Sussex
My favourite subjects to paint are the ones  that mix nostalgia with  modern day scenes .
I'm also very partial to a good ale! So imagine my delight when I discovered that my local brewery Harveys had reintroduced the brewery dray cart.
It was originally brought in for the Queen's visit last October but was so popular that they decided to keep using it for deliveries and special occasions.
Photo courtesy of Maple Leaf Carriages

The dray has not been used by the brewery for over a hundred years and well suits the historic streets of Lewes.
                                      The brewery...
Harveys is a family run brewery that has been around since 1790 . Situated in the center of the town the building is a very impressive landmark situated on the banks of the river Ouse. For more details please visit their website http://www.harveys.org.uk/the-brewery

                                       The horses...
The horses are supplied by Maple Leaf Carriage Company. A lovely pair of Shire horses called
 Monty and Winston. They  look splendid and of course enjoy the odd tipple now and again !
Monty and Winston enjoying a well earned pint...gallon!
 
The dray...
The dray  is beautifully built and painted, laden with the barrels of beer it is a wonderful sight to see on the streets.
These are all topped off with a large comfortable cushion where you will find Barney enjoying the scenery ... I'm sure he gets a lot of attention too!
Harveys dray
Of course being "top dog" means proudly wearing your best Harveys coat !
Barney helping with the beer delivery. Photo courtesy of Jon Tooley

                                           The painting...
                                     "Draught and Dray"
Work in progress...Acrylic on box canvas 18"x 24"x 1.5"
 It's rather a complicated painting with lots of detail so it's going to take quite a while to complete.
I'm on my third day of painting, gradually building up the layers of colour so that I can work on the detail. 
 
Work in progress "Draught and Dray"

 I made good progress today. The painting is starting to come together now. Tomorrow I should be able to start on the finer details where I'm happy with the depth of colour. I shall also make a start on the remaining areas.
The painting is now starting to come togeher
It's felt like slow progress today as I've been adding some of the finer detail. The harness is almost completed and I've started work on the other horse...
Starting to paint in some detail and the second horse
Well, after many hours of painting I have finally completed the picture. It's been a delightful subject to paint !
                                                  "Draught and Dray"
                                Acrylic on box canvas 18"x 24"x 1.5"
The Harveys dray with Monty and Winston


No comments:

Post a Comment